Water is the building block of life. It is the most essential component required for survival and thriving. Humans can live longer without food but even a few hours without water can have serious detrimental effects on the human health.
The water which we consume should not only be readily available but should also be clean and fit for consumption. It is very essential to consume water which is clean and free of any sort of pollutants in order to maintain proper health and well being. Water which is unclean can impose serious hazards to health if consumed.
Following are some of the ways in which unclean drinking water influences health in a negative manner:
- Salmonella is a type of bacteria which is present in unclean and untreated water. When such water is consumed, it can cause typhoid. The individuals who get typhoid experience symptoms like vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal cramps. These symptoms can get severe and result in serious health decline of the patient.
- Untreated and unclean water contains harmful substances like lead, mercury. These substances are seriously harmful for the human body so when unclean water loaded with these harmful chemicals is consumed, it can pose serious threats to the health of the consumer.
- Water can be contaminated with polio virus due to unsatisfactory sanitation. Such water when left untreated and consumed by an individual can cause that individual to develop polio which is a serious disease.
- Consumption of unclean and unhealthy water can cause dysentery which makes the body deficient of fluids and minerals.
- Water can be contaminated with poisons. Such water when consume can causes serious consequences, even death of the consumer.
There is no doubt about the fact that water is extremely essential for survival. In addition to this, it is also necessary that the water which is consumed by humans should be clean, treated if unclean and fit for consumption. Frequent testing of drinking water should be done in order to make sure that it is safe to drink and use. If the drinking water is unclean and filthy, it can cause serious health complications that range from typhoid, diarrhoea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, dysentery and even polio. These ailments can have serious complications. Water which is a sign of life can be life threatening if it is unclean and contaminated. The consumers should be mindful of this.